Frugal New Ford Fiestas Smash Records in MPG Marathons!
Added: 06 October 2017
The All-New Ford Fiesta was put to the test recently, competing in the UK’s annual MPG Marathon to prove its fuel-sipping credentials.
The turbo-charged petrol Fiesta took on the 350-mile event and sealed an average of 97mpg - blitzing the previous 84mpg record and crowning it new Petrol Champion!
Meanwhile, the diesel Fiesta beat the 108.8mpg benchmark set five years ago by the prior Ford supermini by pushing the record up to 122mpg, taking the Overall Champion title.
Ex-works rally team Andy Dawson and Andrew Marriott drove the petrol Fiesta and journalist Paul Clifton with Ian McKean piloted the diesel. Both six-speed cars were coaxed to exceed their official mpg numbers by 48.3 and 51.2% respectively.
To gain maximum fuel efficiency, the drivers followed six simple Ford eco-driving tips which can help all drivers save fuel - and money:
Andy Dawson, Ford lead driver on the MPG Marathon, said: “Maximising fuel economy not only saves money, but smooth driving can also be fun, thanks to the new Fiesta’s brilliant steering and suspension. Using less fuel also means reduced emissions, limiting motorists’ environmental impact.”
- Service your car and check the oil level regularly. Correctly maintained cars operate more efficiently.
- Check tyre pressures monthly. Under-inflated tyres can increase fuel consumption by up to 4%.
- Do not carry unnecessary weight in the boot or cabin.
- Remove empty roof racks and keep windows shut, especially before driving at high speeds. This will reduce wind resistance and reduce fuel use by up to 10%.
- Drive smoothly, looking as far as possible ahead –- and behind. Sudden acceleration and braking penalise fuel economy.
- When accelerating, select higher gears as early as possible. Ford models have gear-shift indicators to optimise gear selection.
The all-new Ford Fiesta has been on sale since July, with over 15,000 sold to date. The UK favourite has been Britain’s best seller every year since 2008. If you’d like to experience it for yourself, why not book a test drive?
>> Click here to find out more about the All-New Fiesta
>> Click here to find your nearest Day’s Ford branch